Monday, May 11, 2009

Workin' Dogs

No need to check the name of the blog again. You are at the right place. And no, I haven't changed sports. I have always loved following sled dog races but there is no danger of me switching sports since I hate the cold. But now I actually have a connection to an Iditarod finishing team of huskies! Every once in a while, one of our border collies doesn't cut the mustard as a herding dog. This year, Bet washed out.She is a good girl and very friendly but she didn't take the pressure of herding so we started looking for another home for her. It had to be a good home where they would treat her well but would understand the need for a border collie to have activities. Through a friend we got word of a sled dog kennel that was looking for a dog to do a job for them. The North Wapiti sled dog kennel was looking for a nice dog with a good recall that would help them with their pups. They like to take the youngsters out on walks on the trails but they can't always catch them again. (we know that feeling) They were looking for an easy going dog to lure the pups back when they were called. Bet recalls. Bet likes pups.Bet! THAT'LL DO!It worked! So Bet is still a working dog. She just switched sports.

4 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

that's awesome! what a great job for a border collie! :o)

Sarah said...

Very cool! Looks like Bet found the perfect place, she is such a sweetie pie!

Diamond Girl said...

That's a great story! Yay for Bet!

Bet said...

Dear Ms Jenny, please don't blow my waffle cover. Life is really good here, the curly tails like me (well, most of them) and I get to wear stylish apparel in the cold, and lounge on the cloud, and travel. Give the sheepies a hug from me.

Bet