Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hen Pecked

The last picture I posted of my 3 chicks was this one:
This is pretty much what they looked like when I left for the Nationals in September.
When we came back, I was home for a day, left Scott in charge, and went off to California for a couple of weeks.
Finally home in October, I walked outside the next morning and heard a sound I shouldn't be hearing from a coop full of hens...
"Cockadoodledooo"!
Ummm... Scott....?  Is there a rooster in my hen house?
Scott said, "Come to think of it, one chicken is alot bigger than the rest."
When I finally got out to the hen chicken house, there was not just one obvious rooster, but TWO!
Way to notice, Scott.
I decided one could stay but the coop was too small for both, so the all red rooster went to a local farm and got his own flock of hens.
So who got to stay?
This beauty:
The girls are happy with my choice and follow him where ever he goes.
As long as he doesn't get aggressive with me or the dogs, he can stay.
For now, the true boss of the coop is still the old red hen
and even the rooster respects that she eats first.
 If he's lucky, there will be chicks in the Spring!

5 comments:

Monique said...

Nothing like being cock-of-the-walk

manymuddypaws said...

he needs a name like Eduardo or something studly.

Anonymous said...

nwareladvenebrbwa ha ha ha haaaa!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3fNJzy-n7M

Wags,
Cat

Monique said...

Casanova

thecrazysheeplady said...

I think you chose the right one!